The possible applications of SensorTeam’s IoT (Internet of Things) sensor are countless. Our sensor can monitor humidity, dust generation, noise, and CO2 levels, while also making excellent motion detectors, so that it can even be used as an alarm system.
SensorTeam’s IoT sensor can be the guardian of healthy air in buildings, a motion detector, sound level meter, or help you find objects. One example of this latter application is to use the sensor to locate construction site offices or mobile toilets. It can all be done. Given the great need for monitoring and measuring in two specific areas, SensorTeam is currently focusing on two applications: sound level monitoring and indoor climate quality monitoring.
What sets our IoT sensor apart is that it does not need an external power source or internet connection. Monitoring data is transmitted using LoRa technology, which is new, energy-efficient network technology that, in the Netherlands, is provided by telecommunications operator KPN. LoRa stands for ‘long range’ and that is what makes it ideal for data transmission, as it can cover long distances without needing a WiFi, 3G, or 4G connection. LoRa makes it possible to have objects and systems exchange small volumes of information while consuming very little power. The sensor runs on a battery that will last for ten years. Being battery-powered, our sensor does not need to be hooked up to existing network infrastructure.
The data collected by the sensor is stored in the cloud and can be accessed from any browser and mobile device. The IoT sensor we have developed to monitor indoor climate quality offers real-time monitoring of things such as temperature, light intensity, and humidity. As soon as the sensor shows that one of these values exceeds healthy levels, measures can be taken right away. This gives people in those buildings instant control over air quality, so they can breathe easy.
Another important application of our IoT sensor is sound level monitoring. In the Netherlands, the government has made sound levels subject to strict rules [page is in Dutch]. Our sound sensor can monitor sound pressure in any area with great accuracy, such as:
- Music festivals and areas with lots of bars and restaurants. Noise pollution can be prevented by deploying our sensors for real-time sound level monitoring. Monitoring data can then be shared with local residents, visitors, and other stakeholders.
- Youth hangout spots. Our high-tech sound system with IoT sound sensors has already been set up at a popular hangout spot for youngsters in the town of Amstelveen, just south of Amsterdam.
- Near factories and along busy roads. The sensor will provide insight into noise generated by busy roads or factories near residential areas, allowing local authorities to take appropriate measures..
- Construction sites. The construction industry is required by law to abide by strict noise emission standards. Noise pollution can be prevented by registering and reducing the decibels generated. This will not only benefit local residents, it will also protect the hearing of construction workers.
- Security industry. When it comes to security, our mobile sensor can be used to sound an alarm whenever it detects unusual ambient noise. Being entirely wireless, our sensor technology enables the kind of security for objects and persons that used to only be possible with relatively costly “wired” systems.
- Workplace. Our sensor is highly innovative in this area. In fact, there is no other system available on the market today that is as straightforward to use, affordable, and easy to link to a smartphone as our IoT sensor, telling workers with great accuracy when and where they need to wear hearing protection.
- Realtors. Our IoT sensor can help give potential buyers an idea of the sound levels they can expect with a specific home. Both indoors and outdoors.
This list of applications will only grow, which just goes to show that the IoT sensor is a versatile and flexible tool that can be used in many different domains. SensorTeam is pioneering new wireless network and cloud technologies. Our extensive knowledge of electronics and embedded software empowers us to create many more smart IoT solutions. We can also customize a solution to meet your need, give us a call now to set up a meeting. We will be happy to explain what our sensors can do for your company!